Sunday, November 27, 2011

Henry Rampton - Family Patriarch


The Old Testament is replete with stories about the ancient Patriarchs, Adam, Noah, Abraham and others.  These were all great  priesthood leaders during their individual dispensations of the gospel.  They set the stage so their posterity could receive all the blessings our Heavenly Father intended for them to have.  They made it possible for their children to hear the gospel, accept the teachings Jesus Christ and do all things necessary to inherit Eternal Life.  So, too, in this, The Dispensation of  the Fullness of Times, there are patriarchs who have made it possible for us to have the Gospel in our lives.  Henry Rampton was one of those men.  In fact, I consider him the great patriarch of the Rampton Family who are faithful members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  Choices he made over 150 years ago make it possible for us to enjoy gospel blessings today. 

Henry was born in England in 1829, a few months after the Priesthood had been restored to the earth on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean .  His father was a blacksmith and that is the trade he learned.  During his lifetime, he was a prolific journal keeper.  He wrote an autobiography.  He was thrown in the Sugar House Penitentiary for polygamy.  He served a mission to England in his later life, and journaled the whole experience.

Here are some excerpts from his autobiography.  I found the parts about what church life was like for early converts in England to be very interesting.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Henry Rampton was born in the Parish of Old Alresford, a small village in the county of Southampton, seven miles from Winchester, on the 8th of September, 1829. Son of William and Elizabeth Rampton, blacksmiths in the said Parish, having five children, Sara, William, Elizabeth, Henry, and Charles. But Elizabeth, wife of William Rampton, departed this probation of life July 28, 1833, (aged 42 years) and left a young family to lament her loss. But the Lord in his infinite goodness found a mother for us, a woman that did a mother’s duty by us. My father married my stepmother in the year 1834.

I, Henry Rampton, married Caroline Harfield, then living at Col. Onslow at Upton House, Old Alresford.  Married on the 9th of March, 1850.  Was working at Old Alresford for my father at the time. My parents did not seem to sanction it for some time. After about six months, could not agree at home. I then left and went to work at Preston Candover, from thence to Brown Candover, and there to Northington. There I worked until my father placed me at Botley, seven miles from Southampton. I had been there about 18 months when I obeyed the Gospel. The first time I heard them or heard of them I thought it ridiculous and the scriptures would condemn them. Therefore, taking the scriptures for my guide, I thought, and 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th chapters of Romans. The Latter Day Saints could not touch or would not meddle with these ideas. I went to hear them as there was an Elder came weekly to Long Common about a mile from Botley in a private house. Elder W. Budge took his text from the 12th Chapter of Corinthians and explained the things very clearly, that therein is which opened my eyes, but I still held the ideas that Romans they would not handle. I liked the young man very much and wished to have a private chat with him. I asked him to my house. He explained everything I asked, cheerfully to my notion, and I thought there was that power with them that was possessed anciently by the Apostles. I investigated from the time I heard them until I was baptized, I think about three months. I began to get very fidgety toward the last. Light began to shine on my mind, which impressed on my mind so deeply that these things were from God and I had not obeyed them. On a Sunday, February 6, I went to Southampton and heard Elder Willie from the Valleys, but I went with the intention to be baptized and accordingly was, that evening after meeting, by Elder Budge. My mind was dark before baptism in a degree that I could not talk or converse on scripture as many can do, but I could just see there were things that I must do in order to gain Salvation. I was afraid that when I was baptized that these fine, fluent speakers would come to me with their fine speeches and I should not be able to resist them, but the spirit was with me and the more I could talk to them, the more knowledge I gained, and I lost all fear. The more I talked with them, the more I could defeat them and make plain their errors which soon became, in my views, absurd to a monstrous degree. I continued on by the blessings of God, my Heavenly Father and His Son Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit, to gain light and intelligence. My mind became expanded so that I could gaze and see how far, very far, the inhabitants of the earth was fallen short of the Glory of God and the blessed hope and assurance that the aid of the Holy spirit and the counsel of those placed over me, to gain the same assurance.
Amen.

Henry Rampton was baptized February 6, 1853, being 23 years 5 months of age and Caroline, my wife, was baptized the same day or evening, being in her 29th year, by Elder Budge in Southampton. Nothing in particular transpired up to the time of being ordained to the office of Priest. Ordained by Elder President Bramwell, President of the Southampton conference, on the Lord’s day being the 31st of July 1853. Having not, from the time of baptism to the time of ordination, had the opportunity of attending any meetings as the meeting was broken up in our place in about a month after. I went to Southampton three or four times before ordination, but had the brethren call on me nearly every week, Brother Budge first, then Brother Park from Zion, then Brother Armstrong. Brothers Bramwell and Willie calling occasionally, but I thank God I had great cause to rejoice. The Lord blessed me wonderfully with light and intelligence. After being ordained a few weeks, we had a little meeting over which I was called to preside. First meeting which we held was at Brother Tibble’s, about two miles from my own house at Botley, on the Lord’s Day 18th of September 1853, consisting of four members, Priest (myself), and Teacher. Brother Rogers from Southampton came to assist me as I had not before had a chance of observing order. We had a comfortable meeting and partook of the ordinance. Nothing transpired of notice during the week. Elder Budge did not attend on us during the week. We met together again on the Lord’s Day being the 25th of September, only myself and teacher Brother Tribble as officers. I felt my weakness very much, but had a comfortable meeting. Enjoyed the Spirit of God’s attendance. In missionary tract distributing, not much opposition as yet. People did not come out to oppose the work, but were careless, afraid, or both. The place seems generally of Presbyterians and the Church of England. Nothing occurred during the week worth recording. Met together again on the next Sabbath, Oct 2, and partook of the ordinance. Had Brother Budge speak to us and he spoke on the subject of pre-existence. We enjoyed a good portion of the Spirit of the Lord. In the week following, received a letter from Mr. Levi, a man that I had written to respecting my business. He wished the particulars more fully. I accordingly answered it. Nothing in particular occurred besides during the week.


On Sunday 9th, I went to a meeting at Brother Tribble’s, but he had company, some of his relations out of the church, so that we could not have a meeting. Returned home, spent the evening in reading with my wife and explaining the scriptures to her. In so doing, we both rejoiced, but it seemed very dull during the afternoon not having a meeting to gain strength; but trust the Lord will soon enable us to go where we can mingle with the saints of God and bed in our spirits. Nothing of importance occurred up ‘til Friday morning when I had a letter from the man respecting my business, but he declined it. On Saturday morning, James Butcher told me he did not know but he should take it himself. The same day went to Southampton for a few things for emigration. Met Brother Parks at Brother Philips’. Took tea there with them and then went back in the town and then back again, called at Brother King’s and then on home. On Sunday 16th, no meeting, as Brother Tribble has left his home and has gone to Bursledon to live. Very wet today, cannot go out to distribute tracts. Nothing in particular occurred until Tuesday evening, October 25, 1853, when we had a meeting at Brother Wyelds, at Fair Oak. It was a tea meeting for a testimonial for Brother Bramwell. We had a good meeting and enjoyed the Spirit of the Lord, when on the outside the house, the neighbor, filled with the spirit of darkness, collected her band to disturb, but for all exertions we had a good meeting and the Brethren spoke freely. Returned home, I think, about half past ten o’clock. Reached home about 12 very tired, accompanied by Elder Budge and Elder Silver. They left next morning for Southampton. Nothing occurred worthy to remark ‘til the Lord’s Day; no meeting. Nothing afterward until November 9th, when I had an application for my business which was on Wednesday, and on the following Saturday I gave it up. I sold my stock to Adams and Knight, two men in the Parish of Botley. Then commenced on the following Monday. I stayed in Botley about a week and two days to gather in my accounts and settle my affairs in Botley. I sold my tools for 33 pounds – 1 shilling – 10 pence. My father came after hearing of my selling the stock, claimed the whole of the money and after doing so, as I gave it up without a scruple, he made me a present of a five pound note, as he termed it.

==================================================

I'll end here for today.  Next week I will include parts about his preparation to go to America, how he sailed to New Orleans, worked there for a while and then went to St. Louis.  I wondered, many times as I walked the streets of New Orleans, if some of the iron work I was looking at was made by Henry Rampton.



Henry Rampton


Headstone of Henry Rampton's Father, William and Stepmother, Sarah in Old Arlesford, England

Headstone inscription

No comments:

Post a Comment