Monday, July 25, 2011

Why I'm Doing This

Today I responded to a message I got on my Ancestry.com account about my great, great grandfather, John Worthen.  As I was looking through my boxes of photos, documents, stories and other papers so I could respond to the message I realized that this needed to be shared.  It would be selfish of me to hoard this treasure trove of information to myself.  So, I will spend time each Sunday adding random photos, stories, histories, documents and other misc. stuff for all of my family to see.  We come from a mighty heritage.......England, Ireland, Germany, Switzerland, Scotland:  farmers, bankers, blacksmiths, engineers, watchmakers, soldiers, preachers, stone masons, brick layers, poets:  mothers, missionaries, pioneers, fathers, politicians, ornithologists.  Someday I will put in information about the family lines I have traced all the way back to Father Adam.  I hope that you will enjoy it.  I will conclude this introduction with a poem my Grandpa Cash sent to my oldest son David just after he was born: 

YOUR NAME


You got it from your father
It was all he had to give.
So it’s yours to use and cherish
For as long as you may live.
If you lose the watch he gave you
It can always be replaced.
But a black mark on your name,
Son can never be erased.
It was clean the day you took it
And a worthy name to bear.
When he got it from his father
There was no dishonor there.
So make sure you guard it wisely
After all is said and done.
You’ll be glad the name is spotless
When you give it to your son.

                                                   - Anonymous

No comments:

Post a Comment